MMA Gear

11.10.2008

Video of Junie Browning at Xtreme Couture


Found this video of Junie Browning today on one of the mma blogs on Yahoo:

Check after the jump for the video and my thoughts on it.



A lot of this is typical Junie, like when he says "Half the stuff I did I don't even remember cause most of the nights were a drunken blur."

However, I think there are hints that his maturity level has gone up some. He talks about his time at Xtreme Couture as a positive thing, as well as the fact that he's signed with Denaro Sports Marketing and that he's been living with Shaun Thompkins. For anyone not familiar with Denaro, their clients include such fighters as Mac Danzig, Gabriel Gonzaga, Luis Cane, and so on. (However, they're not immune to having troublesome clients, as they also represent Melvin Guillard and Chris Leben.)

Regardless, I think it's evident that someone has worked on Junie's public persona, whether it be his new agents, Couture, or somebody else -- he seems like he's calmed down some, and he says that he hasn't "gone out" since he's been in Vegas and that the only thing he's been drinking is water. I think that's probably an exaggeration, but I think everybody would agree that they run a tight ship at Xtreme Couture.

Finally, I think it's interesting that Junie said he felt that he wasn't being used by Dana White or the UFC. He didn't elaborate on it too much more except to say that he thought TUF was designed not so much for the hardcore MMA fan, but for the more casual fan, to get people watching the UFC who might not otherwise watch it.

While this may be true, I think that last week's episode was one of the nastiest we've seen in a while, if not ever, and even though it may not turn the casual fan away from the UFC events, it's definitely going to turn fans off from the show. Just take a look at all the posts that sprung up after last week, of people criticizing the show.

In spite of all that, I'm interested to see what Junie does with his time at Xtreme Couture. He's got a wealth of opportunity there -- I, for one, am hoping he doesn't waste it.

-PreView

No comments: