MMA Gear

10.25.2008

PreView's Picks for UFC 90


For the first time in its history, the UFC is hosting "numbered" events (i.e. UFC 89 and UFC 90) on back to back weekends. Granted, this one isn't on free tv, but we still have more fights coming.

Five of tonight's fighters are ranked in most expert's Top 10 lists for the different weight classes, and one of tonight's main event fighters, Anderson Silva, is widely regarded as the number one or number two pound-for-pound greatest fighter in the world (depending on who you're talking to).

Check after the jump for my event picks. For the record, I'm hoping to rebound from a loss of my own as I posted a 4-5 in last weeks picks.


No major analysis this time, but if you're interested in what some of my colleagues on FightTicker.com have to say, we did a sort of roundtable discussion for three of tonight's fights. For our analysis on Sean Sherk vs. Tyson Griffin, go here. For Josh Koscheck vs. Thiago Alves, go here. For our final pick for this event, Silva vs. Cote, go here.

On to my picks....

Anderson Silva vs. Patrick Cote - Silva, via KO, Round 1.

Josh Koscheck vs. Thiago Alves - Alves, via TKO, Round 2.

Sean Sherk vs. Tyson Griffin - Sherk, via Unanimous Decision, Round 3

Fabricio Werdum vs. Junior Dos Santos - Werdum, via Submission, Round 1

Rich Clementi vs. Gray Maynard - Clementi, via Submission, Round 2

Hermes Franca vs. Marcus Aurelio - Aurelio, via Split Decision, Round 3

Spencer Fisher vs. Shannon Gugerty - Fisher, via TKO, Round 1

Dan Miller vs. Matt Horwich - Miller, via Submission, Round 2

Thales Leites vs. Drew McFedries - Leites, via Submission, Round 1

Josh Burkman vs. Pete Sell - Burkman, via Unanimous Decision, Round 3

So there you have it. Like I said, I'm hoping to post a better performance than my 4-5 from last week. I guess we'll know by the end of the night.

-PreView

No comments: